Tuesday, October 23, 2007

dine and whine


It was like being in the set for a Harry Potter’s dining scene. When the children eageredly waited for the Sorting Hat to work its magic. Difference is, there’s no Harry Potter, no Sorting Hats and no magic wands.

19th of October marked my first Dining in session. The traditional ritual all Barristers would have to go through (12 times) in order to be “qualified”, among many other things.

How was it?

I’m not going to lie – it was boring. From the way we had to nod in unison to the Benchers that slowly enter the Hall one… by…. One… at the start of dinner, to the way we had to bow at the Benchers who wobbled (after lots of wine, you see) their way out one… by… one… at the end of the night. (aww.. c'mon, Sho.. don't be such a whiner..)

The only thing I shall brag about tho, would most certainly be the food. 4 course of fantastic english dishes. they gave each course a fancy name.. which i sadly forgot. but basically we had steamy Potatoes, delicious, melt-in-the-mouth-fish with leak.. and turkey -which was everyone's favourite tht night. with a quick eeny-meeny miny moe on which fork and knife to use everytime, I shamelessly gobbled them down piece… by… piece (haha… )

Speaking of pieces, i must add, conversations were utterly dull. sorry. I guess I weren’t into small chats that night. Somehow I couldn’t care less for the war in Pakistan, how the weather is or whether the Bar Course is treating us fairly or unfairly. I couldn’t decide what was more painful – pretending to look interested to or trying to stay awake.

I couldn’t see how us pupils are to gain from this dine-ins. What were the odds of the guy opposite me were to remember my name after that night? Cos I sure won’t even recognize him without that coat and gown. So much for “rubbing shoulders” with a judge or a practicing Barrister when the Benchers sit in the long Bench way up in front throughout the night?

I envied Deepak’s table. He was the only guy among 4 girls, obviously being a real gentleman among the laydees. At least someone’s having a good time. Deepa? She stole my “date”. Etmonia’s in love with Deepa, and blames me for not introducing her to Deepa sooner… I’m just glad I got two nice girls know each other.

Lunch on Sunday was a different story altogether. It could be because of the sun shining brightly thru the stained glass windows. (and we had good conversational piece going on this time). Or it could be because I was craving for salmon or lamb and I got both! ;)

Somehow, after Sunday, I saw myself looking fwd to the next 2 sessions next weekend. It’s ok if I might have to make small meaningless chats with “new people”. who cares if we won’t remember each other again. But you’ll never know, right, until you try? And it’s living the moment and making the best of it that really matters. I guess I didn’t make enough effort on Friday, what with classes and all in the morning.
So yes, I’m looking fwd to next week. Wonder what they’re going to serve us this time..

sunlight, stained glass, sunday, luncheon. how fitting

insider's point of view
at the grand hall in the Inn

outsider's question mark.
lincoln's inn from the outside

Deepa, Imdan and i.
ps: the pashmina sheds alot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah. sounds like a cult!
i always thought there was something fishy abt 'em lawyers... now i know.

:P

*sho* said...

cult! so true! thats exactly what i said tht day, man... its eary.
lol... all in black and white.. sitting in rows. *yelps*

well, the truth is out. now everyone knows what happens behind them heavy closed doors.

i did good